SEWING DILEMNA? Ask Londa's FREE advice!!!

Yes...as a sewing educator for over 35 years, designer, and author with experience as a sewing machine dealer/fabric shop owner, custom dressmaker and more...I'm most happy to answer ANY and all questions to the best of my ability. Just contact me HERE with your question.

Saturday, December 04, 2010

Ahhh - Reupholstered an antique chair - FINALLY!

This is an antique chair - belonged to my Grandma's brother I'm told. I remember it on my Grandma's porch - inside porch. Have had it quite awhile - and in this fabric that went with old decor - and have had fabric to re-do it for 2 years. Party time here - and taking a break from Creative Sweatshirt Jacket creation - YEA - a blister later - got it done in one day! (Must admit I thought it would take 1 morning!)


I found I NEEDED: this claw thing to get out old staples - the BIGGEST job of all! That's what gave me a blister in my palm.

Needed a tack hammer,, and an ELECTRIC Staple Gun - which I rented. Also - a Glue Gun.

Realized the striped fabric would be a bit of a challenge. Took notes and photos as I undid the current chair. And, the double piping would have to be replaced with braid, as I couldn't make that on my conventional machine.
Here is a photo of the hardest part- but with the staple gun, WAS able to pretty much get into the side by the caning.
Here below is my 'Martha Stewart' Badge of Honor for industriousness. It really looks worse and hurts like the devil!

Durned I can NOT get these photos to move where I want them to!
Anyway - here is the completed chair.

OH - and see the Merry Christmas Blocks on my antique cabinet in the background? My Mom worked hard one year to get 3 sets of these from our kids' blocks to give to each of us - a VERY special gift - and perhaps an idea for you.


No comments: