SEWING DILEMNA? Ask Londa's FREE advice!!!

Yes...as a sewing educator for over 35 years, designer, and author with experience as a sewing machine dealer/fabric shop owner, custom dressmaker and more...I'm most happy to answer ANY and all questions to the best of my ability. Just contact me HERE with your question.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Interesting Miscellaneous fr Londa

Back from that wedding (it was great!) - and some observations from my reading and shopping...

1. Saw a great scarf - 3 straight long pieces of a sheer - say 1 1/2" wide - with a bias cut ruffle stuck into the 3 long seams. IN thinking how to do this, I decided one would just take that measurement of length - say 50" or so, and measure on a string. Form the string into a circle and draw it. Add a 1/4" seam inside - so you have a new cutting line. Draw 3" out from the circle all the way around. At one place, curve into the original for beginning and end of the 'ruffle'. This will create, when cut out - a long, bias-type of circular flounce. Make 3 of these - serging the curved edge with a rolled hem to finish. Stick one of these flounces into each of the seams of the long pieces. Leave ends of the long pieces open - to turn it all. That's it!
I can't wait to make one - will give you a pic soon.

2. Great Collar on a T-Shirt. On a fairly wide neck opening - take a bias separate piece of fabric - say about 4-5" wide and maybe 15" or so longer than the circumference of the neckline and offsetting the long edges a few inches, stitch into a tube. Turn right side out. Press flat - it will look scrunched. Stitch one pressed long edge to wrong side of the neckline , startingand ending at a shoulder seam - leaving the extra length loose there to 'tie'. Serge to finish, then let that 'collar' flip out to the right side of the T shirt - finish edges as you desire (or not - as a knit, it won't ravel). Tie the loose ends. That's it!

3. Simple, Simple, Simple finish for a T-Shirt. At Anthropoligie, I saw a T finish for the neckline and armscyes as simply a narrow - like 3/4" wide cross grain strip of fabric just stitched onto the back of the neck and armscye edges, so that one edge of this piece just stuck up a bit from the garment's edges. You could twin needle on - - or even zig zag... That was IT! I think often we make things TOO difficult!

4. Detail on a T-Shirt Simply twin needle (or cover hem) the turned under edges - then with a contrasting thread - a loose, wide zig zag with contrasting thread stitched over top of the twin needle work. Again - at Anthropologie. You might want to check out the clothes there - www.anthropologie.com I think.

And - read the entire THREADS Magazine #119 - July 2005 issue on the plane....
Some Comments
1. I LOVE that scarf on the front! Can't wait to try that one either!!! Dyed with Colorhue Fabric Dyes - I carry these dyes at my website and LOVE them too! Just dilute with water as you are led in a container (I save pickle jars), and dip in wet silk. Over-dyeing is fun too.. Shown on page 32 - the end of the article.
2. Great stitches per inch metric conversion chart... just facts, and shared by Kay Lancaster - a
gal with endless knowledge...

20 stitces per inch (spi) = 1.3 mm
15 spi = 1.7 mm
12 spi = 2.1 mm
10 spi = 2.5 mm
8 spi - 3.1 mm
6 spi - 4.2 mm
5 spi = 5.1 mm
4 spi = 6.3 mm

3. Loved that 'duh - why didn't I think of that' tip of when you leave an opening to turn something - like on a pillow - to pivot and stitch to cut edge of seam on both ends of the opening - keeps stitches from popping when you stuff the pillow! From Shirley Schoen, San Fransisco. Great picture on page 12.

4. Fitting Pants from the waist down - article page 35. I found interesting - but almost exact opposite I've done for year - following basically the Palmer/Pletsch technique. I want to give it a try. Thoughts of yours??? Top photo page 37 though - looks taken with camera slanted upwards which scews it all. I think it depends on the body as to whether the waistband is level with the floor or not. Some I've seen dip much more than 1/4" to 1/2" in the front. GREAT idea for adjusting the hem on page 39! Another 'duh-why didn't I think of that' moment.

5. Invisible Zipper article - page 46. I've always pressed that 'roll' of the zipper coil out to begin with as the directions with the invisible zipper foot say to do. Comments? GREAT idea for matching on page 49!

6. LOVEd the fashion review starting on page 50. See - I was 'right on' with the Ultimate Broomstick Skirt of Lyl'as as mentioned on page 52.

7. I think Linda Lee is 'right on' with suggesting the 3 step zig zag for the stitch to do on a fabric to which you 'ravel' the edge up to - better than the straight stitch. See page 60.

8. Hairline Seams - article page 60. I love the Gingher Applique (duckbill) scissors for trimming as well, but they don't INSURE that you won't cut into the fabric - so beware. I use the needle down into the fabric and presser foot down on my sewing machine as the '3rd hand' to hold one end of my work firmly while I do this type of trimming...
Bottom half of page 63 - I think they have contradicted themselves in which way the seam allowance will roll - anyone else? I'm confused.

9. Capris and Croped pants lengths - page 68. I think the labvelling is wrong on the diagram. The top one should say "cropped" length and the bottom one "Capri Length - to agree with the top portion of the article. :)

10. How about Comment on the design Challenge garments - page 77. I liked Mary Ray's jacket - but that's it for me.

2 comments:

joan71 said...

Londa, thanks for your ideas you passed along on your snoop shopping. I want to try a couple of them, especially the idea for the scarf and how to make the long bias strip for the ruffle.

As to the Threads issue #119,a couple of comments from me. I agree with Londa about the Design Challenge........not very inspiring. Mary Ray's jacket is the only garment that I would wear.......the others would not be very flattering to my figure. Some of the details are nice and well executed, however.
The article on pg. 56, Edgy Jacket has an interest to me. I have a remanant of black and white wool houndstooth that I have had forever and I want to try that idea, but add lining for the sleeve........too scratchy otherwise. It is trendy, but with minimum $$ and labor invested, thought I would give it a try.

joan71 said...

One more comment in response to Londa's post. Threads article, bottom of page 63, about the roll of the seam allowance. Do you think the last paragraph "Roll the seam allowances toward the sleeve" that the word "shallow" as in 'shallow clips' could be the determining factor?