SEWING DILEMNA? Ask Londa's FREE advice!!!

Yes...as a sewing educator for over 35 years, designer, and author with experience as a sewing machine dealer/fabric shop owner, custom dressmaker and more...I'm most happy to answer ANY and all questions to the best of my ability. Just contact me HERE with your question.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Pancetta-Wrapped Pork Roast

You all know I'd rather sew than cook - but since cooking was a necessity this last weekend, I found this recipe in Martha Stewart's collection online - and it was DELICIOUS!!!

Pork Loin (15 pounds)
8 to 10 cipolini or small white onions unpeeled (WHY unpeeled I wanna know!)
1 T. Extra Virgin Olive oil
Coarse Salt and feshly ground pepper

FOR THE WRAP
1 T. finely chopped freh rosemary, plus several springs (I figure out to take those spky 'leaves' off the main stalk before chopping them!)
1/4 pound pancetta (Italian bacon), or bacon, thinly sliced. We found the Pancetta - and though $$$, it sure was good!

FOR THE SAUCE (Psst - I used my turkey gravy - and they never guessed!, but here's the recipe as Martha would do it!)
1 t. unsalted butter, softened
1 t. all-purpose flour
1 C. Chicken Stock

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Season pork with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large cast-iron skillet over medium heat (I used my Mom's old roaster then just put it back into the roaster for the oven part). Sear pork on all sides - about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.

2. Rub pork with chopped rosemary, wrap with pancetta, overlapping strips slightly. (I had to use some toothpicks to hold it all on til I got the string all rapped avround it to hold everything int place. - Then I took out the toothpicks.) Scatter onions and rosemary springs around pork. Roast, basting occasionally with cooking juice until reaches 145 degrees on meat thermometer. 35-40 minutes. I did 20' per pound - as my roast was much, much larger. Also - there sure wasn't much juices to baste - but I did what I could - and I was also sure to place the roast fat side up - so those juices went down into the roast as well.

Transfer to platter, cover with foil.

3. Make gravy - in small bowl combine butter and four. Pour off fat from baking dish, place over med heat. Add stock, scraping bottom of skillet to loosen browned bits. Bring to boil, reduce liquid slightly, about 2 min. Whisk in butter mixture, cook til thick. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments: