SEWING DILEMNA? Ask Londa's FREE advice!!!

Yes...as a sewing educator for over 35 years, designer, and author with experience as a sewing machine dealer/fabric shop owner, custom dressmaker and more...I'm most happy to answer ANY and all questions to the best of my ability. Just contact me HERE with your question.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Hinse Shawl Collar Jkt vs Kimono Jkt Collar

Someone had asked about the comparison of the Shawl Collar Jacket collar with the Kimono Jacket Collar -
As I'm writing my Londa's 2 Cents on the Shawl Jacket this morning, I pulled them out to compare...

1. The Kimono Jacket is wide, and meant to fold on itself in half depth wise - and folds back completely form the neck edge. It is cut straight - so it is bound to stand up some at the back of the neck. I haven't made this one yet. Looking at it though, instead of making it a double thickness, onoe could cut it half as wide, or maybe a tad more - and fray that outer edge.

Speaking of frayed edges - got a hoot out of seeing 'frayed' trim for sale with the like fabric at Hancock's. Do they really think we aren't smart enough to take a strip, fring it ourselves, and insert in the seam??? Oh wel...

2. The Shawl Collar Jacket has more shape to the body, and interesting subtle shaping to the front edge - not so on the Kimono Jacket.
Shawl also has a shorter version - the 'short' on on the Kimono is quite long.

3. Both constructions have that seam of joining the collar exposed inside the jacket - quick, but not to my taste....

1 comment:

joan71 said...

Londa, I appreciate your comments comparing the Kimono and Shawl Collar Jackets. I was not very happy with the fit of the Kimono on me. I need to make some kind of FBA and make an upper back adjustment also if I were to sew it again. And I wasn't pleased about how the collar hung/draped on one side ( whadya' think, sound like directional sewing needed?)
I think the body of the shawl pattern sounds like it has more appeal to me and I did like how you treated the collar and I think I would do that even in a spongy rayon, or something drapey
with a slight stretch to it, which is probaly what I would use.
I also have made Loes' Bolero Jacket three times and I like it.